October 19 @ 15:30 - 17:00
Green hydrogen: an opportunity for islands’ decarbonisation
Due to their isolation and lack of infrastructure, islands often suffer from high energy dependency. In this context, green hydrogen offers a compelling solution to harness the full power of locally produced renewable energy and increase self-sufficiency through energy storage. Several projects are already paving the way for islands to use green hydrogen and accelerate their decarbonisation.
For example, In Orkney Islands, Scotland, BIG HIT has developed a fully integrated model of hydrogen production, storage, transportation and utilisation for heat, power and mobility that is now being replicated at larger scale in Mallorca, Spain, through the Green Hysland project. In Green Hysland, green hydrogen from solar energy will be produced and delivered to end users such as the island’s tourism, transport, industry and energy sectors, including gas grid injection for green heat and power local end-use.
In this workshop, participants will also discover HEAVENN, a large-scale demo project bringing together core elements of the hydrogen sector in Northern Netherlands, and others in order to understand the potential of green hydrogen for islands’ decarbonisation, and discuss how these case studies can be replicated. Ultimately, the workshop will address the following questions: What is the technology and how is it used in islands? How can we unlock more green hydrogen projects for islands? What are the cost trends and the business models?
15.30 Introduction & Moderation
- Gianni Chianetta – Director, Greening the Islands
- Kostas Komninos – Vice-president for Smart and Sustainable Islands, FEDARENE
- Building Innovative Green Hydrogen systems in Orkney Islands
- Nigel Holmes – CEO, Scottish Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association
- Hydrogen Energy Applications for Valley Environments in Northern Netherlands
- Patrick Cnubben – New Energy Coalition
- GREEN HYSLAND: Deployment of a H2 Ecosystem on the Island of Mallorca
- Ferran Rosa – Managing Director, Institut Balear de la Energia
- Mercedes Sanz – Head of the Consultancy and Training Department, Aragon Hydrogen Foundation
16.10 Round table with the Speakers: How can islands use green hydrogen to accelerate their decarbonisation process? How to unlock more green hydrogen projects for islands?
Moderation: Nadim Chaudhry – Founder & Director, World Hydrogen Leaders