October 19 @ 9:00 - 10:30
Technology, policy and finance to boost islands’ sustainable growth
EU, Caribbean, Pacific & Indian Ocean islands together to lead a change of pace with concrete cases for the GTI Awards.
The Greening the Islands e_Convention – International Conference and Exhibition, reaches its 8th edition. The well-known annual event entirely dedicated to islands’ self-sufficiency and sustainability will take place on October 19-20-21 and focus on how global policy and finance need to sit at the same table with sustainable technological innovation and with joint efforts become drivers for islands’ sustainable growth. The 2020 edition explored the role of islands as laboratories for innovation and leaders in a green recovery. One year later the context has evolved: as coronavirus vaccines and stimulus packages begun to phase in, the world prepares to build back better and what was an intention must now become a reality. The 8th GTI e_Convention, culmination of the GTI Observatory’s work, endeavors to make this come true starting from the islands and their best practices protagonists of the GTI Awards.
The three-days event is centred on the integration of technology, policy and finance with a unique global platform where innovators, islands administrations, institutions and investors of the vast GTI network come together to originate new projects to match islands’ needs. The GTI e_Convention will also concentrate on national, regional and international tenders and calls for innovation to face common challenges building coalitions of high-expertise institutions, industry associations, corporates, academia and civil society. Alongside the task forces workshops, training sessions will also be provided, with top global experts deepening the most advanced solutions for common islands challenges, like wave energy, sustainable maritime transport and ports electrification, and waste management.
As usual, the GTI e_Convention will include the well-known International Conference and a virtual exhibition where islands will promote their territories, presenting the progress on their sustainable transition, and corporates will showcase the latest innovative solutions and best practices. The global event will end with the 7th edition of the GTI Awards to reward and disseminate the best solutions applied worldwide on energy, water, mobility, waste, agriculture and sustainable tourism. The most qualified jury ever assembled for islands will evaluate the projects based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria, like CO2 savings, the ecological and economic value added, replicability to other areas and degree of innovation. Island stakeholders will have the opportunity of deepening topics and continue networking also after the event through the GTI App.
09.00 Introduction & Moderator
- Gianni Chianetta – Director, Greening the Islands
09.10 Round Table
Moderation: Veronika Neumeier – GTI Policy Officer
- Sainivalati S. Navoti – Chief of SIDS Unit, Division for Sustainable Development Goals, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA)
- Davide Strangis – Executive Director EU Programmes, Partnerships & Geographical Commissions, CPMR (Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions)
- Maxime Prodromidès – President, Small Islands Organization (SMILO)
- Joseph Borg – Chairman, INSULEUR (The Association of the EU Islands Chambers of Commerce)
- Representative Alliance of Small Island States (AOSIS)
Technology, Policy & Finance
Moderation: Gianni Chianetta – Director, Greening the Islands
- Amani Alfarra – Water Resources Officer, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Gurbuz Gonul – Director Country Engagement and Partnerships, International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) / SIDS Lighthouses Initiative (LHI)
- Michela Miletto – Coordinator of the UNESCO World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP)
- Jaimes Kolantharaj – Senior Energy Specialist, Energy Division, South Asia Department, Asian Development Bank
- Representative World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)