- This event has passed.
ENERGY & WATER
20 October 2021 @ 15:30 - 17:00
ENERGY & WATER
RES desalination and water recycling for higher efficiency and reduced costs on islands
In cooperation with EDS (European Desalination Society)
Back to the agenda
Islands increasingly need wiser and more efficient water management to address water scarcity. Eco-friendly solutions must be put in place to guarantee an adequate high-quality freshwater supply to island inhabitants. Seawater desalination coupled with renewable energy systems can supply freshwater while reducing diesel provision costs, with obvious positive impacts on island societies.
This workshop will offer an update on the latest innovations in the desalination sector – such as the development of new 3D membranes and solar power systems – and explore the synergies with agriculture, another central element for islands, to highlight the importance of reusing water. Successful applications on islands will be shown, alongside the main opportunities and challenges.
15.30 Introduction & Moderation
- Borja Blanco – GTI Water specialist
15.35 Setting the scene
- Gonzalo Piernavieja – Research & Innovation Director at Instituto Tecnológico de Canarias (ITC)
- Ursula Annunziata – President, EDS (European Desalination Society) / Olga Sallangos – Vice President, EDS
15.55 Presentations of challenges and good practices
- Panayiota Hadjigeorgiou – Deputy Director, Water development department of Cyprus – Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
- Michael Frederico – Technical director, Águas e Energia do Maio (AEM) Cape Verde
- Shawn Meyer-Steele – President, CaribDA (Caribbean Desalination Association) & Director IDA (International Desalination Association)