- This event has passed.
EU Islands’ economy & COVID-19
26 May 2020 @ 14:00 - 15:30
This webinar if part of the GTI Digital Observatory
EU Islands’ economy & COVID-19
Actual situation & requests from islands – EU plans for the recovery after crisis
During this pandemic period, islands are living an even more difficult situation, both economically and socially, than the rest of the world, risking a greater isolation and being forgotten.
In such a challenging time, Greening the Islands, in partnership with INSULEUR (the Association of the EU Chambers of Commerce) and the support of CPMR Islands Commission (grouping the EU island governments), through a GTI Digital Observatory Survey launched on the 4th of May and this webinar, wants to:
- know what the EU companies are facing and give voice to their needs and requests and bring them to the attention of the National and EU competent institutions,
- debate on how to mitigate the impact of COVID-19,
- understand new possible scenarios after this emergency and the EU recovery plan and ensure it takes into consideration the peculiarities of islands compare the mainland.
- ensure an efficient, resilient and sustainable restart.
With this webinar, we intend to provide an outlook on how islands’ economy is responding to the situation and what could be the possible scenarios. The webinar will feature the EU results of a global GTI Digital Survey asking businesses how the health situation is affecting their operations and their feedback on the government responsiveness.
Thanks to the input of experts from competent institutions, the event will be an opportunity to share experiences and point of views, bring the needs of the island companies to the attention of the institutions and present the priorities of the European Union with particular reference to the islands in the “Multiannual Financial Framework” (MFF), for the period 2021-2027, which underpin EU cohesion policy, in response to the emergency.
14:00 Introduction & moderation, presentation of the GTI Digital Observatory survey results – Gianni Chianetta, Chairman, Founder& Director Greening the Islands
- What measures the Commission adopted via Cohesion policy to address impacts of the crisis now and also to outline the tools available to support specific territories in next programs – Normunds Popens – Deputy Director General DG Regio – European Commission
- The importance of the cohesion policy in a recovery plan for islands – Tonino Picula, Chair, SEARICA (Seas, Rivers, Islands and Coastal Areas)
- The actual situation and priorities of island economies – Joseph Borg, Chairman, INSULEUR (The Network of Insular Chambers of Commerce and Industry of the EU)
- The peculiarity of islands and the need of special financial programs – Giuseppe Sciacca, General Secretary, CPMR (Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions) ISLANDS COMMISSION
- Insularity and circular economy in the light of covid-19 and climate change – George Kremlis – Honorary Director of the EC, in charge on behalf of DG ENV of circular economy and islands / Adviser to the Greek Prime Minister on energy, climate, environment and circular economy/ Honorary President of the International Circular Economy Institute of the European Public Law Organisation (EPLO)
- The EU programs for the recovery of the islands’ economy after the pandemic – Willibrordus Sluijters, Head of Unit in DG REGIO for Greece & Cyprus – European Commission
14:50 Roundtable (discussion)